1. Fold the placemat in half and cut 2" squares out of the folded corners.
2. Turn the placemat right sides together and sew the side seams.
3. Then line up side & bottom and sew the bottom seams.
4. Turn right side out.
5. Determine what kind of straps you would like. For a simple strap just cut coordinating fabric twice the width plus seam allowance as wide as you would like the straps and whatever lenght you would like the straps. Fold lengthwise and sew right sides together. Turn right side out and press. Most of the time I will topstitch the straps - but it is not necessary. Once your straps are ready it is time to attach them to the bag.
6. I like a clean line - so I use a seam ripper and open up the top of the bag where I would like my straps. Slip the straps in and topstitch. I do about 3 lines of stitching to reinforce the straps. You can also just add the straps to the inside of the bag without opening the seam - it is your preference.
I will continue this in the next post.